Friday, March 30, 2007

Rain... Rain...

Most of the time whenever I think of rain, I hear the tune "Rain, rain, go away, come again another day" but that is not the case today. Today I'm thinking "how refreshing". We needed the rain. It's been too dry here in Oklahoma lately. The little ponds are filling up and over flowing, the ground is drenched and muddy, the puddles are rippling and inviting little feet (and big feet too) to jump on in and splash away.

I remember a rain storm once, in the summer of 82 I want to say. It was just coming down in buckets and for some reason, pawpaw and I were sitting on his porch swing. There were no words that needed to be said between us, no need to fill the silence with small talk - he and I could just sit and swing and watch the cloud cry and bless the crops and the earth with water. I long for those slow days, of just sitting and swinging and not having to say a word - just watching the rain fall.

Fast forward about 25 years to today. I'm working this afternoon and yeh! the laptop at work is opperational again, and it's alternating between pouring and just steadily raining. The yard has that wet-green smell about it that makes you want to dress a tad lighter just so that you have an excuse to curl up under the covers. I did that yesterday though - so today is not the day for it.

Yesterday was a bittersweet day. My mother-in-law (mom) held an auction at her embroidery shop. In her words - she was selling off 12 years of her life a stack at a time. It was sad, but Robert and I were there for her. The high points in the day was when she was introducing me (and Robert) to some of her friends who came to buy and to just offer support... and she shared with them that she was a grandparent to be to a 6yr old. She would light up and the horrible mind-numbing pain of that day was gone, if only for a second. It rained yesterday too. It feels like it's been raining non-stop since we had Stephen with us.

I'm counting down the days (in my own head) until the end of the school year and we can go and get him. I just can't wait. I know that Mom and Dad (in laws) are the same way, they are anxious and excited at being grandparents. Robert and I are too. We have several irons in the fire (or balls in the air- as he says) and we are just hoping we can juggle them all instead of them dropping at the wrong moment.

My charge is stiring so I need to close this for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home